Bake and Saltfish is a popular breakfast dish in Trinidad and the rest of the West Indies. My stepfather showed me how to make this delicious recipe. I could eat this all day!
And believe me when I say it's SALTY. That's why you must boil it at least twice. It's called salt fish for a reason. Well, some may know it as salt cod (or dried and salted cod).
The more you flake it, the better. You don't want huge pieces in the mix. The hint of oil and blend of the tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic makes it all the better!
When frying the bake, remember to flip it every 30 seconds 1). to get a even color, 2). so one side won't be puffier than the other and 3). to cook like a pro! :)
- Salt fish (aka salt codfish)
- Salt (for BAKE only)
- Various Peppers
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Boil the saltfish at least twice to remove some of the salt.
- Mix flour, salt, sugar in a bowl, then add water and mix.
- Place damp towel over mixture and let sit for 30 mins.
- Strain saltfish and flake in a bowl.
- Add black pepper, tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic powder and a bit of oil and mix.
- Heat up oil in pan.
- Cut flour mixture into medium balls, flour surface and flatten out balls.
- Fry one bake at a time and flip ever 30 secs until golden brown.
- Let drain on paper towel and continue with the others.
- Cut a pocket on the side of the bake and add saltfish mixture.
Check out my video below for additional help on this bake and saltfish recipe.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.