The red snapper. The perfect main course for any occasion. This whole roasted red snapper fish is the finest communal meal out there. A whole fish cooked on the bone, along with hearty accompaniments. The best way to cook this is by stuffing it with herbs and cooking it in foil with sausage, potatoes, clams, olives, and fennel. See if you like this great recipe.
We had the pleasure of being invited to the Saveur Magazine test kitchen - the kind of kitchen we all dream about having. Test Kitchen Director Hunter Lewis showed us how easy it is to make a beautiful, simple & delicious family style fish dinner. Portuguese linguica, littleneck clams, a little white wine and fragrant herbs infuse the fish with flavor as it steams. Make sure the guests are at the table when you breaking through the foil and reveal the finished dish - it makes quite the presentation!
* 1 large bulb fennel, cut into wedges & blanched
* kosher salt, to taste
* 1 lb fingerling potatoes, boiled & halved lengthwise
* 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 lb fresh linguiça or kielbasa, cut into 1/4" slices
* 1 whole cleaned red snapper (2-3 lbs)
* 1 lemon, sliced into ¼" half moons
* ground black pepper, to taste
* 10 sprigs thyme, plus 2 tbsp thyme leaves
* 10 sprigs parsley
* ½ lb mixed olives, pitted
* 12 littleneck clams
* ½ cup white wine
* zest of 1 orange